Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger

He says in his statement today,

"I have a lot of work to do, and I intend to dedicate myself to doing it. Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my mother taught me at a young age. People probably don't realize it, but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years. Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously I lost track of what I was taught."

I can't help but think of Brit Hume and his suggestion that Tiger move to Christianity for the forgiveness. I wonder if Tiger was specifically addressing that, or if he was just saying what was important to him.

I think it's interesting he called it a "Faith". I think of it more as a path, faith isn't really emphasized in Buddhism.

This inside and outside distinction is interesting too. Security? I think it's more about happiness. Anyway, it's not far off.

So our most famous Buddhist continues to retain the label.

No comments: