Sunday, May 10, 2015

perceptual healing

The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom is like a sutra to me.

Last time I thought a book could be a future sutra was when I was reading The Essential Sangharakshita: A Half-Century of Writings from the Founder of the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order.

Halifax has so many interesting concepts that you just don't hear every day. Or I don't anyway. "Perceptual healing" made me think how when I meditate a lot, my smelling comes back. I think smell is a sense I sacrifice to cope with the onslaught of input. There are so many unpleasant smells in the city. I used to pride myself that I could work with smelly clients because it didn't bother me so much.

Fruitful Darkness is so beautiful. It is poetic. I think my eyes and mind gobble up the words hungrily, I have been starved for this kind of thinking, experiences and writing. Halifax is quite the traveler.

No comments: