Thursday, July 23, 2015

ordinary

Reading The Making of Buddhist Modernism, there was lot of talk about enchanting and re-enchanting, losing meaning and valorization of the ordinary.

Then I started watching Daredevil on Netflix. The ordinary is something that the hero sees past, deeply into even though he's blind. His super power is his hearing and focus. He can sense so much that he's unstoppable. It's just the ordinary that he senses more deeply. The fight for justice is portrayed in comic book simplicity, and then with moral ambiguity and confusion. There is an interplay between enchantment and disenchantment, ordinary and extreme.

Sherlock Holmes sees past the ordinary and collects information to create penetrating insight (into a crime).

James Joyce has a layer of the ordinary and the mythic in Ulysses. The interplay between sacred and profane is a very modern dance.

I can choose to be bored by my commute home, or find all the mystical opportunities.

You don't hear people use the word profane that much, as an opposite of sacred. "I had a profane day." I'm trying to dip into The Sacred and The Profane: The Nature of Religion, but I haven't gotten that far. 

No comments: